Wednesday 9 May 2012

Sampling Skirt ideas on the Mini Stand

Following on from my previous sampling posts and designing within my sketch book i was inspired by some of the ideas for skirt shapes in the Pattern Magic Books as mentioned in previous post,  that gave a desired unrestricted movement to the fit and related to some of the ideas i had for skirt shape at the start of my research. one of these techniques was  the Kakurenbo design which with the use of a wiggling line on the waist line added a concealed flare in the waistline producing a nice unrestricted drape to the skirt.
i liked this idea as it appealed to my ideas of fitting to the body with a loose flowing unrestricted yet structured skirt. below are the image of the instruction from the book.

This technique i tried to achieve by following closely to the instruction in the book but working on a mini scale to save fabric. however working on the smaller scale had the down side of making the construction very fiddly.  however i did manage to simplify the design for the smaller scale and the results are below.
i like the finished result but would obviously want to develop the pattern to my own specification and shape inspired by my primary photos, for example putting the skirt lower on the waist and making it shorter. however this pattern was quite advanced and complicated which i feel my skills may not quite be capable of at this time so i may take this technique and simplify the idea through developments to help me establish my final design. it is also a technique i can see my self using and developing further in the future once i have thoroughly developed my pattern cutting skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment